Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Skye's the Limit.... or is it


Well, Ok, something went a little wacky on that last post with the position of the photos and the text. I hope everyone can follow along all right. Grrr. At any rate, after Edinburgh I went to The Isle of Skye for the weekend. There really are no words to describe the Highlands or Skye. Beautiful, stunning, they don't really seem to convey the essence of what I saw. And unfortunately the pictures are a poor substitue for the real thing but they may give you the idea.


These are some photos of the country side. And, Yes, the sky was that blue and the hills that green. The unfortunate thing is that I can't get the panoramic shots online. They would give you the sense of granduer that the scenery truly has.





Believe me, I took more pictures than anyone would care to look at, however, it was well worth it and I'm grateful that I had a digital camera and don't have to develop film to look at them. Next up is a waterfall that I happened across as I was touring north of Portree. The photo following it is what one would find should they venture past the waterfall and into the glen beyond.



This is one of the many small lochs (lakes) on the Isle.



I should take a moment to explain the roads. While Scotland does have "highways," or dual carriageways, the country roads are a bit smaller. And on Skye, at least the northern bit of the island, most of it is single track, or less than...well check out the pictures. Below is a shot from the drivers seat as I passed someone pulled over on a passby, which is a burp to the left or right in the road so that two vehicles can pass.



This is slightly before the photo above to give you a feel for how wide the road is and how small you feel compared to nature. Yep, those are sheep.



In fact, this ram took a bit of convincing to move. It was his road and he wasn't sure he wanted to let me by. I took this just before I passed him.



This is just a pretty shot of a small village from the road.


Later that day.... On the way back to Broadford, which is where I stayed on the Isle at Green Gables B&B, I decided to take the scenic route. I thought the one tracks were small but this one had very few passing places, luckily, it was not too busy. This is a shot from, I belive the one layby on that road.



Broadford is a gorges little village that sits on a bay. The sun sets just to the left of the bay and the tide goes, as tides do, in and out through out the day. The shot below is at high tide. I never managed to be awake and have the camera at the ready at low tide.



The sunset on the bay is breathless to behold. The pictures really do not do it justice.




And now for some flora.....

This is foxglove and it grows wild just about everywhere.




I'm not sure what most of the flowers are that I saw but they are beautiful





And of course.... the classic flower of Scotland the thistle.


Well, there's tons more pictures, but I've been at this for some time. I will post more of them, mostly of a castle and the highlands, tomorrow when I return to Glasgow. Now, I'm off to the library and tonight I'm going to do a touristy thing and go on a tour of some of the haunted places in Edinburgh. OOooooooOOoooooo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe, been following yer blog and after seeing the pics of Skye I just finally got to say it...

I AM SOOOOO FRICKIN' JEALOUS!!!!